Thursday, February 20, 2014

Tea Blog Review 1

The Republic of Tea
Cuppa Chocolate: Strawberry Chocolate Tea
Tea Info:
Type: Rooibos
Description/Ingredients: Rooibos, carob, cocoa kernels, chocolate flavor, strawberry flavor, sweet blackberry leaves and bourbon vanilla beans


Review:
I bought this tea at a grocery market. It was the first time I have heard of the company. Decided the tea sounded interesting and would be something to give a whirl. Upon opening the air tight canaster a mild pleasant scent came from it. Before it was stepped it gave off a bit of a bitter scent. Almost as if smelling a bag of dried strawberries.

Once the tea was stepped for the time recommend (Five to seven minutes in boiling water) the scent changed. It gave off a scent of warm chocolate with the undertones of strawberries. A very pleasant aroma for the sense. Leaving high hopes for the taste in the tea.

Keeping in mind I typically drink my hot tea's with sugar. For purposes of this review I did make sure to try the tea without sugar first sip. Without the sugar it was slightly bitter, with a hidden sweetness from time to time. It is drinkable this way if you can get past the bitter portion. The best way I can think to describe this bitterness is it taste almost like a dark chocolate that is a seventy precent or more cocoa. I could possibly even chalk up the bitterness to the bourbon vanilla bean.

I added only a half of teaspoon of sugar to my cup, which was the prefect amount to cut the bitterness. In turn it brought out a lot more of the flavors. Though mild you could still distinctly find the strawberries with the underlining tones of chocolate. The total vice verse of the smell. Was certainly a tea I could see me drinking often.

All in all the tea was delightful with a little bit of sugar. Is prefect for a dessert without the calories! It is something that I would recommend trying at least once.

No comments:

Post a Comment