Saturday, March 8, 2014

Rushy Spring Farms Review


I have this secret, well perhaps not so secret love for cooking and baking. With this love comes a love for trying new things all the time. Specially when it comes to things like personally made sauces, mixes and things of that nature. I am always looking for new things to try to top it off. With that being said I am a huge hot sauce fan. I use hot sauce all the time.

Well I happen to stumble across a Etsy store called Rushy Spring Farms. Whom is known for their unique salt brine fermentation chile sauces. Upon investigate I did happen to notice what they had stated to me was true. Almost everything when you look up this form of fermentation for chile sauces it does normally come back to them. So first I am going to give you my review, then we will get more into what exactly this process is.

So I had a couple friends come over to try these with me this past weekend. When it comes to food I like to have more then just my opinion on things. So here is our review shortened to the point for you all.

My Review:
Aji Amarillo
Starting line, so here we are starting with the Aji Amarillo. So we all seem to agree this was a very mild sauce. Flavorful and a nice flavor at that. Almost border lining a lime taste. It in my personal opinion had a very sweet overtone to it. None the less it was a pleasant sauce. I had to agree with my friends on this one. It would be good for anyone who can't handle the heat of a hot sauce. (Such as the Trinidad or Tennessee Cherry) It is very complimentary to Mexican food though. In fact thinking about it, it kind of made me want a margarita.

Aji Limo
Here comes round two the Aji Limo. This was a interesting flavor for a chili sauce. Though I myself did not find much of heat in this at all. (If any) I did find this to be flavorful. A bit on the sweet side not as sweet as the Amarillo but enough to notice it. We all also noticed a small hint of lime mixed in there though it was followed by a big taste of vinegar. Though not as sour as vinegar would be alone. It still had the tinge of sweetness to take that bite away. I will actually be looking into a recipe I may be able to mix this into to see if it changes the taste at all or pulls out any flavors it did not intentionally.

Serrano
Lets get going on some of this heat we have been waiting on. So we are now finding ourselves at the Serrano. On first taste it almost brings out a nice sweet flavor. With a very mild heat. Now at first I thought this was because I just ate a lot of really hot sauce typically so the mediums seem to taste like a mild to me anymore. Though with confirmations with my two other friends whom have been helping me thus far with this review. It turns out that it was not just me. It is pleasant tasting but it lacks in bite and we all three consider this to actually be along the lines of a mild sauce. Perhaps I will come back to this later with it mixed into something and see if it brings forth a different result.

Tennessee Cherry Chile
Now we are starting to get to the big boys ball park with the Tennessee Cherry Chile Sauce. We felt this sauce was a lot more potent and your first taste to hit is that of the chili itself. Followed slowly by the burn. Though as the taste of the chili fades you are left with a vinegary aftertaste. In someways I myself found this to actually be a compliment to the flavor in the end. Though for others it was preferred not to be there. In the end this could be comparable to a high grade hot sauce. It was certainly a welcoming taste bud tingler to start our final round. This would be good to add into something like a chili for that extra ompha without over doing it.

Trinidad Scorpion
So we finally make are way to what is currently the worlds hottest pepper. The Trinidad. This baby packed a punch. Upon tasting it we all could agree that though there was major heat involved you could also pin point a tinge of sweetness. Encompassing that of the actual flavor of the chili when you get past the heat portion of this. As well as you can find a underlining tone of vinegar taste in this.
All in all we come to find that the Trinidad Chili sauce packed not only the flavor but the heat as well. Leaving your mouth to tingle and burn in a pleasant way. A little of this goes a long way!

Overall
So in the end we all liked them all but all were in agreement. The best sauce we felt out of these was the Trinidad Scorpion. It held the most flavor and it had the biggest bite. It was a well rounded Chile sauce and one of the best we have ever tried. This is not saying like I stated that we did not like the others. I rather enjoyed them all though do feel each one should be used in a proper way it may develope the flavors better. They are totally worth checking out and trying! I promise you will not be disappointed!

Tid-Bits on Rushy Spring Farms:
Rushy Spring Farms was established in 2004 in Knoxville Tennessee by a man known as Tennessee Jim. It began as a diversified chemical free vegetable, herb, greens, and fruit producer. However, year by year, economic imperatives have forced specialization. Currently, production is concentrated in high quality garlic, a few carefully chosen heirloom tomato varieties, and over two dozen exceptional chilies that cover an extensive array of flavor and heat variations. In addition to selling fresh chilies, primarily at the Knoxville, TN Market Square Farmer’s Market and high end restaurants there, they are transformed into world class salt brine fermentation chili sauces as well as dried whole chilies and single variety gourmet chili powders.

Rushy Spring Farms has a large Chile collection in which the centerpiece for is a unusual yet unique Chile. The Tennessee Cherry Chile. It was named this due to the size, shape and color of this chili was all very much similar to a actual cherry.

To find out more about Rushy Spring Farms Please follow the following link: http://rushyspringsfarm.wordpress.com/faq/


Rushy Spring Farms Etsy Link: 


No comments:

Post a Comment